An update regarding Coronavirus (COVID-19)
A MESSAGE FROM THE PRESIDENT OF COMMITTEE OF MANAGEMENT
Dear kinder families, both current and future,
We would like to quickly touch base with you all about the ever-evolving situation with Coronavirus (COVID-19).
Here at Kangaroo Ground Pre-school, both the individual and collective health and well-being of your child, your family, our wider community, and that of our teaching staff, is of paramount importance to us.
As of this morning, a State of Emergency has been declared by the Premier Dan Andrews for the state of Victoria for the next four weeks.
We would like to assure you that we are closely monitoring the situation in real-time and are working on the advice of Victoria’s Department of Education and Training (DET) and Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS).
While we have always had strong hygiene practices and cleanliness standards in place, we will be implementing additional precautionary measures:
- hand sanitiser will be placed next to the sign-in book for family members and siblings. We ask that you please use this upon entry to the kinder each time that you sign-in.
- posters will be placed up on the entry and main inside doors to reinforce the importance of hand-washing for everyone in our community.
- our staff will begin to place a little more awareness of proper hand-washing with your children and will speak generally about the importance of safe hygiene practices. This is a normal part of the everyday routine in kinder already but will just have a little more emphasis over the coming weeks.
- we will look at potential additional cleaning procedures with our cleaning contractors to support the increased focus on cleanliness.
- we will also be taking steps to reduce the number of areas requiring frequent contact (for example, propping doors open where possible).
As we are all in this together, we kindly ask for your cooperation with the following:
- if you or your child is experiencing any cold/flu-like symptoms, we respectfully request that you please DO NOT attend kindergarten. Please notify the kindergarten in a timely manner of any absences.
- please remind your children of the importance of good hygiene practices, particularly hand-washing and covering their nose and mouth with a tissue or their sleeve or elbow when sneezing or coughing.
Please note, as of 16 March 2020, if you have just returned from an overseas trip, no matter where from, the State and Federal Governments have mandated that you must self-isolate for 14 days – no exceptions. In the event that this is the case, please contact the kinder to keep us informed.
Additional updates will be provided as things unfold. For up-to-date information, please visit: https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/victorian-public-coronavirus-disease-covid-19
In the meantime, we will operate business as usual unless otherwise advised by DET and/or DHHS. If at any time we are instructed to close the pre-school, the length of the closure will depend upon the advice of the relevant government departments. If closure is required, we will be in contact with you as soon as practicable via email or SMS.
I also encourage you to keep an eye on our Facebook page as further announcements will also be made here.
Should you have any questions or concerns please feel free to have a chat with either myself or one of our teaching staff.
Let’s all work together, keeping kindness and community spirit at the forefront, maintain a common-sense approach and do the right thing to keep our children, families, staff and our wonderful wider community safe.
Date posted: March 16, 2020