Kangaroo Ground Pre-school strongly values the development of secure, respectful and reciprocal relationships with children, families and the wider community. We believe that children are capable and competent learners; we respect the child’s right to make decisions, take risks and actively construct their learning. We strive to encourage a sense of connectedness to the natural environment and to enhance environmental responsibility through sustainable practices.
In our work with children
- We value each child’s active participation within the program. Children are encouraged and supported to explore, solve problems, communicate, think, create and construct.
- We provide a safe and nurturing environment that promotes respectful relationships with peers and adults, we support the children on their journey of belonging and development of resilience.
- We value the here and now or ‘being’ of childhood. We support the children’s interests and skills as they arise daily with props, ideas and opportunities for extension.
In our partnership with families
- We acknowledge the family unit as the children’s first teacher.
- We respect the diverse histories, cultures, language, traditions, child rearing practices and lifestyle choices of families at our pre-school.
- We strive to provide a service that is flexible and supportive of the needs of the families in our community.
- We provide opportunities for families to be involved in the running of the pre-school, including the Committee of Management, working bees, parent help, social gatherings and the suggestion box.
In our role as educators
- We provide a flexible program that supports the child as a holistic being.
- We support learning through intentional teaching practices and, both incidental and planned, experiences.
- We strive to work as a team and support each other’s ideas, interests and experiences. We value a collaborative and co-operative working environment.
- We value the self-reflection process and professional learning to benefit the program.
- We engage with the children and share in their discoveries, delights and development.
In our relationships with the community
- We value a meaningful relationship with the wider community, including local schools. We provide opportunities for school children, both primary and secondary, to visit the pre-school and opportunities for our children to access local schools and their facilities.
- We connect families with supporting agencies in the wider community.
- We acknowledge the diversity of our community; we seek to develop meaningful connections with the local community so children and families feel connected through a sense of belonging.
Kangaroo Ground Pre-school is rated as ‘Exceeding’ the National Quality Standard.
Our play-based curriculum encourages children to explore, solve problems, communicate, think, create and construct. We develop learning programs that are responsive to the children’s interests and understandings, that celebrate their differences and similarities, and build on their capabilities, strengths, interests and knowledge. As curious and enthusiastic participants in learning, and by using play to investigate their world, children begin to discover that learning can be both enjoyable and meaningful.
We strive to develop a sense of trust and confidence in the children that their needs will be met in an accepting and safe environment, promoting a sense of wellbeing which leads to confidence and resilience. We encourage children to share ideas, thoughts, questions and feelings, and provide opportunities for them to experience the sounds of spoken language and to share the enjoyment of language in a variety of ways.
Our program encourages children to experience wonder and interest in their environment. We value and promote recycling, and provide opportunities for the children to care for and nurture the natural environment at pre-school.
We encourage our children to appreciate the many qualities and similarities we all have, to accept and be respectful of differences and to value the individual’s right of choice.
We are incredibly lucky to have such an experienced educator team:
I live locally with my husband Brendan and our 3 children who attend KG Primary. Most of our spare time seems to go into a never-ending renovation! We enjoy camping, lazy nights around the fire and getting into the garden.
After returning to the work force after maternity leave, I have a new found respect for all parents but, in particular, working parents. The juggle is real, and something that we hope to assist with in our service structure here at KG.
I love the inquisitive minds of young children and I believe that all children are capable and competent learners. Learning happens all the time, and when we provide a positive learning environment the growth can be rich and fulfilling. I encourage a say YES attitude at Kinder for both our staffing team and the children!
This year I hope to do formal therapy dog training with Smokey, who has been a regular and well-loved visitor at Kinder.
Hi my name is Kathy and I work with the 4-year-old group. I like working with the children because every day is different and a challenge and we never know what fun things we are going to get up to!
I finished my Diploma of Children’s Services in 2019 and have been focussing on home improvements while we’ve been in lockdown. I live in Greensborough with my husband and 2 of my 3 children.
I look forward to planning some local travel and seeing more of Australia.
I live in Yarra Glen with my partner Ken. I have four grown up children and three granddaughters. All my children have attended Kangaroo Ground Primary.
I have worked with children as a teacher and educator for many years, and still enjoy the new learning and challenges this work provides. I see it as important to build strong relationships with the children and their families, to work with children’s strengths and help them develop skills needed for lifelong learning.
I am also the Coordinator of the Kangaroo Ground Primary School Out of School Hours Care program and therefore have the privilege to see children in different settings.
Outside of work I love bike riding, gardening, reading and bushwalking.
I have been working in the kindergarten environment for 12 years and enjoy that each day brings a new adventure. Watching the children flourish, grow, learn and develop is one of the most rewarding aspects of my job.
I live with my husband, Daniel and have five grown up children, two of them living with us. We recently became grandparents and cherish every moment we spend with our grandson.
I enjoy camping and try to make the most of the long weekends throughout the year. I also love spending time with my family and close friends.
I live in a local suburb and thoroughly enjoy coming out to work in this semi-rural environment, as I am keenly interested in connecting with Country and living sustainably. I believe that sharing this interest with children and supporting them to have deeper knowledge and respect for our environment is an important as part of our program.
As part of the team, I look forward to making strong connections with each child and family and to supporting each child’s development through building on their strengths and interests. I love sharing each child’s excitement when discovering new things and sharing in their satisfaction when they achieve new skills.
I worked for a decade as an Early Childhood teacher after graduating in my twenties, then after having a family, I returned to work as an educator. I am currently updating my qualifications studying a fourth year of a Bachelor of Teaching part-time.
During lock-down I have started sewing as relaxation, and I enjoy growing and eating vegetables from my garden.
My role at KG Kinder is as a co-educator with the 4-year group 3 days a week. I have an Associate diploma in Recreational Leadership and worked in Holiday programs and After School Care before focussing on Early Childhood when I completed my certificate 3 in Early childhood services.
I have worked in kindergartens for 9 years, prior to KG I worked at Yarraleen in Bulleen.
I have lived in Kangaroo Ground for over 20 years and have 2 children both are now fully grown.
I have travelled extensively over the world, but now, post Covid, I look forward to travelling and seeing more of Australia.